Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup is a favorite of so many of us. This creamy, cheesy, soup is perfect for a hearty lunch. This is easy to make, we take frozen broccoli, fresh carrots, two types of cheese to make this soup. You can purchase a bread bowl from the grocery store, and you will have Broccoli Cheese Soup just like Panera Bread. Broccoli Cheese Soup is one of those soups that just warms the soul. I love to serve this style of soupr with popovers, or fresh yeast rolls with butter. This recipe calls for the loaf processed cheese food, you might know this as Velveeta, but in this recipe, the store brand is good to use. If you are concerned about salt, use the low sodium chicken broth. Keep your heart at a medium to a medium-high heat, and stir this frequently so it doesn't scorch. If you need to reheat this soup, I suggest you reheat on the stove top, and add a little milk to the soup because it may become very thick after it is refrigerated.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onions or 1⁄2 cup white onion
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup julienne cut carrot, shredded are ok to use also
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, store brand is ok to use also
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan melt together butter, flour and chopped onions. Cook butter and flour together for about a minute, and then slowly add in half-and-half. Add about 1 quarter of the half-and-half, whisk until thickened and smooth. When all of the half-and-half is incorporated add frozen broccoli, and Velveeta cheese, when the cheese is completely melted, add chicken broth one cup at a time until soup is well mixed and has a consistent texture. When all of the chicken broth is added add carrots, and simmer soup for about 20 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of cooking add the 8 ounces of shredded Cheddar cheese. Serve when all cheese is fully melted.