Recipe by COOKGIRl
I bought a jar of Trader Joe's Arrabbiata Sauce for the specific reason of learning how to make it myself. The sauce has a nice kick to it owing to the chili powder. For a vegan version, omit the anchovy. All of the ingredient amounts are estimated. Use fresh tomatoes in the summer and off season use the best canned tomatoes you can find. I used a can of organic fire roasted tomatoes. From the jar's label: "Arrabbiate Pasta Sauce is a traditional sauce originating in the central Italian city of Rome. Prepared with a combination of tomatoes, red bell peppers, and seasoned with extra virgin olive oil."
Top Review by PaulaG
So yummy! I made this using a can of fire roasted tomatoes. The anchovy paste was left out as I seemed to be out. The ingredients were placed into the Vita-Mix container and whirled until smooth. This was served with some sauteed chicken sausage over gluten free penne pasta and I have enough sauce to either freeze or have again. Something I will make again. Made for Aussie Swap.
- 14 ounces roasted tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, peeled and minced (I also roasted the garlic)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (I like concentrated tomato paste in the squeeze bottle)
- 1 large red sweet bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and roasted
- extra virgin olive oil (I used about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (I used 1/4 teaspoon smoked chipotle powder and 1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika)