Recipe by Bobbie537
I have fallen in love with the Subway golden broccoli soup. However I found that it was high in fat. I found a recipe of a copy cat on the internet and tweaked to fit my low fat/ calorie lifestyle. 2/16/10 I tried making this soup again this time I didn't use preshredded reduced fat cheese. I grated my own using cracker barrell 2% sharp chedder. This made a huge difference the cheese integrated nicely and the soup was smooth.
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance light butter spread
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen broccoli
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, celery and carrots in margarine until tender.
- Add flour to make roux. cook 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock slowly and stir to avoid lumps.
- Add frozen broccoli. I usually use the steam fresh and cook it in the microwave first.
- Let simmer 15 minutes.
- Add milk slowly, make sure your soup is not boiling hot because your milk will curdle.
- Add shredded cheddar.
- Simmer 30 minutes and enjoy!
- Makes 4 hearty servings.