Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have fallen in love with the Subway golden broccoli soup. However I found that it was high in fat. I found a recipe of a copy cat on the internet and tweaked to fit my low fat/ calorie lifestyle. 2/16/10 I tried making this soup again this time I didn't use preshredded reduced fat cheese. I grated my own using cracker barrell 2% sharp chedder. This made a huge difference the cheese integrated nicely and the soup was smooth.
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance light butter spread
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen broccoli
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Saute onion, celery and carrots in margarine until tender.
- Add flour to make roux. cook 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock slowly and stir to avoid lumps.
- Add frozen broccoli. I usually use the steam fresh and cook it in the microwave first.
- Let simmer 15 minutes.
- Add milk slowly, make sure your soup is not boiling hot because your milk will curdle.
- Add shredded cheddar.
- Simmer 30 minutes and enjoy!
- Makes 4 hearty servings.
I've never had Broccoli Soup at Subway....our Subway's don't serve soup! So I don't know if this tastes like theirs or not. That means I'm rating it based on taste, not on the resemblance to Subway's soup. That being said....I loved the carrot/onion/celery mix that started the soup. Always a great start to a soup! Per Bobbie's advice, I steamed my broccoli bag before adding to the soup. However, I found the broccoli was too large to be in the soup, and cut it up while it was simmering. The reduced-fat cheddar cheese didn't melt, so next time I'd try something that melts easier. There are difficulties with this recipe, but the overall taste is sublime, because of the vegetable medley that sautes at the start! Thanks for sharing your recipe!