Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Yes, this is a copy cat of McDonald's steak egg and cheese bagel that has been off of the menu for quite some time. It is so delicious but easy enough to make at home that you wont even care that you cant get it through drive thru anymore.
- 2 rib eye steaks (boneless, cut 1/4 inch thin)
- 2 eggs (divided into two separate bowls)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (divided in half)
- 1 teaspoon onion (minced)
- 1 teaspoon green bell pepper (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided in half)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (divided in half)
- 2 bagels
- 2 slices American cheese
- Place the ribeyes on a cutting board. Using the rough side of a meat mallet pound the steaks on both sides covering the entire surface of the meat twice.
- Put the steaks in a plastic bag, add the worcestershire sauce and garlic salt and set aside to marinate for 15 minutes. You can cut up your veggies and get everything else ready (2 pans one for each egg) ready.
- Heat a grill on medium high heat. Cook the steaks for 3 minutes on each side.
- Turn the grill off, place the bagels cut side down on the grate and keep the lid closed until you are ready to assemble the sandwiches.
- Heat two saute pans on medium heat. Add 1 tbsp butter to each pan, once the butter is almost melted add the peppers and onions equally to both pans. Add in the salt and stir. Saute the peppers and onions for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Whisk an egg one each into two separate bowls. Whisk in the mayonnaise into each bowl with the egg.
- Pour the egg mixture into each pan. Once the egg is set, flip over the entire egg to the other side. I use a small saute pan for this.
- Once the other side is set fold the egg in half like an omelet and then over again so that its folded in quarters.
- Take one side of each bagel off of the grill onto each plate. Top the bagel with the steak, then the egg, the cheese and lastly the top of the bagel.
- Cut in half and enjoy!
Skip the peppers. The ingredient that everyone is missing is caraway seeds. That is what gives it the distinct flavor. cook them with the steak and onions. Let me know what you think.
I tried this. I followed the exact recipe except for the green peppers because anyone who has eaten one of these knows that they do not have green peppers on them. It was not like the McDonald's Steak, Egg, and Cheese at all. I will continue my search for the perfect Steak, Egg, and Cheese, and until then, I'll keep going to McDonald's.
The only thing wrong with this recipe is there are no green peppers in Mcdonalds
steak egg and cheese bagel, (at least not in the midwest) and what is the sauce on it?
my son who eats these all the time works at mcdonalds and is trying to get me to mk them at home. But this recipe is inadequate for the indgredients