Recipe by Wicked Creations
I have found THEE Starbucks Classic Coffee Cake CopyCat!! You may find slight variations of the cake at different Starbucks locations. Sometimes there is a ribbon of cinnamon running through the middle of the cake, and sometimes the cake is dusted with a bit of powdered sugar. You'll also find some versions with a few chopped pecans in the topping; and that's the version here. Double up on the topping for the ultimate topping to match starbuck's cake..and can use smaller pan if needed. Footnotes To add ribbon of cinnamon to cake, double recipe of topping and reserve half (minus nuts if you like), pour half of batter, use half of doubled recipe, make sure to cover entire cake, pour the rest of the batter and top the cake with the reserve. This batter is very thick!! Option: Dust cake with powdered sugar after cooled to give more a starbucks feel!!
Top Review by Courtney C.
I wanted a thicker cake, so I used an 8" square baking dish instead. I only altered the recipe by not including the pecans because of a nut allergy. I poured half the batter into the pan, then poured half the topping over the batter. Next, I layered the remaining batter on top. This created a cinnamon swirl, like the Starbucks coffee cake. I used the remaining topping as directed. I baked the cake for 1 hour and 5 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure the cake is done.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Make topping by combining 1 cup flour with brown sugar, a stick of softened butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mixture should have the consistency of moist sand. Add 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add this dry mixture to the moist ingredients a little bit at a time. Add half n half and mix well.
- Spoon the batter into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan that has been buttered and dusted with a light coating of flour.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the batter. Be sure the topping completely covers the batter.
- Bake cake for 50 minutes, or until the edges just begin to turn light brown. Cool and slice into 8 pieces.
- Serves 8.