Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Makes 24 large, or 30 medium cupcakes. I got this recipe from http://www.carrottopmom.com.
Make and share this Copycat Sprinkles Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, buttermilk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat.
- Spoon batter into 24 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean.
- Gently remove from oven (these are super-moist, and will collapse if you aren’t careful). Cool in pans on wire rack at least 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- I use the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (From Sprinkles Cupcakes) recipe (recipe #222188) with these cupcakes and my family loves them.
Yum, yum, yum, so good! I got 36 regular-size cupcakes out of this using a #20 scoop (could've gotten 37, but I divvied up the last scoop of batter so I didn't have a tin with only one cupcake in it). The tops of these stayed pretty level and didn't peak, but I expected that with how much liquid is in the batter. No fallen craters, just level tops. Now, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool, hardcore frosting lover, so it's a major thing for me to say that I could happily eat these cupcakes naked (the cupcakes, NOT me, lol!). Not that that stopped me from gilding the lily with the suggested Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (From Sprinkles Cupcakes), which is fabulous in it's own right. Now as much as I want to eat way more than my fair share of these, I also have an overwhelming urge to go around the neighborhood passing these out and sharing the bliss. If you hadn't already guessed by now, I love these cupcakes, lol. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall '12