1/1 Photo of Copycat Skippers Clam Chowder
1 hr 15 mins
Full of Flavor and yummy Goodness , it is the best I have ever Made.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (1 liter) bottles clam juice
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks (resist the urge to use Yukon Gold potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices bacon, finely chopped (I use thick, hammy deli bacon ( use six slices of bacon if you're using the thin, pre-packaged stuff)
- 2 cups chopped onions or 1 large yellow onion
- 3 stalks celery & leaves or 1 1/4 cups celery & leaves, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, drained, juices reserved (chopped clams are fine ( I use minced )
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- hickory liquid smoke (hard-to-find, but great flavor!)
- 1 -3 drop Tabasco sauce, for flavor
- 1NOTE: Prepare ingredients before starting! Experienced, or quick, cooks can ignore this advice. I'm neither experienced nor quick. If I don't prepare the ingredients before starting the chowder, it's a disaster.
- 2Bring the bottled clam juice and potatoes to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender (about ten minutes). Remove from heat.
- 3Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until bacon begins to brown (about 8-10 minutes). Add onions, celery, garlic, and bay leaf. SautÃ until vegetables soften, about six minutes.
- 4Stir in flour and cook two minutes. Do not allow flour to brown.
- 5Gradually whisk in reserved juices from clams. Add potato mixture, calms, half-and-half, hickory smoke salt, and hot pepper sauce. Simmer chowder to blend flavors, stirring frequently.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Chowder can be served after as few as ten minutes of simmering, or it can sit on the stove contentedly for hours.
Browse Our Top Clams Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clams Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Copycat Skippers Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (949 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1148.5
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 191.0 mg
- Sodium 3245.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 147.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 30.6 g
- Protein 80.3 g