Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I concocted this recipe for my friend who loves the rice pilaf served as a side dish at Sizzler steakhouses. You can tweak the seasonings to your preference and adjust the amounts of lemon juice & chicken buillion to your taste. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 3 dashes garlic powder
- 3 dashes onion powder
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 2 cups warm water
- In a skillet with lid over medium heat, saute raw pasta in butter, stirring, until it begins to brown. REMOVE FROM HEAT.
- Stir in all seasoning powders and rice.
- Carefully add lemon juice and warm water (it may sputter - you can let the pan cool off longer to prevent this). Stir.
- Cover with lid and simmer on lowest heat for 20-25 minutes, or until rice is tender and all liquid absorbed.
- You could also try this in a rice cooker, by dumping browned pasta into cooker with all remaining ingredients and setting as usual for regular rice.
I made as directed except I used chick stock in place of the water and the amounts were right on. This was very yummy and pretty close to Sizzler rice which happens to be my favorite! Thanks for the recipe!
I loved the flavor of this rice, it was lovely with salmon. The water amount needs adjustment though. I made a single serving asking for 1/3 cup of water for 1/4 cup of rice and the 2 tbsp of pasta. I started with 1/2 a cup and needed to add more as I'm not really a fan of very "Al Dente" rice. If you double the ask for water and then a a touch more you should be quite happy with this recipe.