Recipe by SaraBellaBean
This is a copycat recipe for Rumbi Island Grill's Bahama Mama's Tortilla Soup. Savory chicken broth with a hint of coconut milk, diced chicken breast, tomatoes, carrots, mozzarella tortilla strips, and a lime or lemon wedge.
Top Review by timnlara1
This is almost EXACTLY like the soup at Rumbi. However, Rumbi's soup has cilantro added somewhere near the end. I made a pot of this and my husband and I ate it ALL. I'm making more today. I also omitted the hot pepper sauce. I will save myself a lot of money with this recipe!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrot, diced very thin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups white corn tortilla chips, cut into strips
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat an outdoor or indoor grill for medium heat. Grill chicken breasts for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until browned and cooked through. Remove from the grill, and cut into chunks.
- In a large pot, combine the chicken, water, bouillon and carrot. Season with allspice, thyme, cinnamon, ginger and garlic. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Pour in the tomato, coconut milk and hot pepper sauce. Heat through, but do not boil.
- Ladle into bowls, and top with shredded mozzarella cheese and tortilla strips. Squeeze juice onto soup from lime wedges.