Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe on the net and decided to share it with all of you. Fish tacos are very popular in the San Diego area. I serve these with Spanish rice or tortilla chips.
- 12 (1 -1 1/2 ounce) cod, pieces
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup beer
- garlic powder (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 6 tomatoes, ripe, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 2 cilantro leaves, chopped, stems removed
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Mix flour with favorite spices such as garlic powder, red or black ground pepper.
- Stir the flour mixture into the beer and mix until well blended.
- Wash fish by dipping in cold, lightly salted water or water with a little bit of lemon juice added. Be sure fish is completely dry before dipping into batter.
- Prepare salsa; reserve.
- Put the vegetable oil into a deep skillet and bring to 375°F
- Place fish in a single layer--do not let pieces touch each other.
- Cook fish until batter is crispy and golden brown.
- Heat corn tortillas lightly in a skillet or Mexican comal until they are soft and hot.
- To assemble, on each tortilla layer the fish fillet, white sauce, salsa and cabbage. Top it off with a squeeze of lime. Fold tortilla over to serve.
If I could give this 6 stars I would! I lived in San Diego for 2 years and while there fell in love with Rubio's fish tacos. Now I've been gone for 7 years and have craved them at times, so when it came time to create a Mexican Fiesta for a dinner party, I knew I had to add fish tacos to the menu. This recipe is IDENTICAL to the fish tacos I remember at Rubio's and now I can enjoy them anytime I want and don't have to spend thousands on a plane ticket to do so! My guests were amazed and everyone LOVED them. I really didn't change anything in the recipe. Every component is simple in itself but when combined, command your taste buds to attention! Thank you for posting!
One of my favorite recipes to make, super yummy!!!
Everyone loves them thx for the recipe .. also added the lime to the white sauce and the salsa