Recipe by #1 Baker
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com I love these with cream cheese--yummy.
Top Review by ange1281
All wheat bread flour is too grainy, not sure if there's other types of bread flour? This is just like other bagel recipes I tried at home. They were ok, dry & the dough wasnt great, nothing like Paneras at all. Not worth making again.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 3 tablespoons frozen cranberry juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour (plus another 1/4 cup for kneading)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries, minced
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 quarts water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl. make sure the water in warm, not hot, or you might kill the yeast. add cranberry juice and oil.
- In a another large bowl, combine flour with cranberries, walnuts and salt.
- Mix flour into the yeast solution with a large spoon, and then use your hands to bring the dough together. continue kneading, adding an additional 1/4 cup of flour, a little bit at a time when the dough gets tacky. knead for 10 minutes, then form the dough into a ball and store it in a covered bowl for 30 minutes.
- After the dough has rested divide it into 6 even portions. Form the bagels by rolling a portion of dough into ball. poke your thumbs through the middle of the dough ball, then stretch the dough out and spin it around your thumbs to create a doughnut shape. the hole should be no more then an inch across.
- Place the formed dough into a baking sheet rubbed with a little oil. cover dough with a dish towel and set it in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
- When the bagels have rested for the second time, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine 4 quarts of water and 1/4 cup sugar over high heat in a large sauce pot or dutch oven. when the water is boiling, drop the bagels into the water, 2 or 3 at a time, for 2 minutes. use a slotted spoon or spider to flip the bagels after 1 minute. when you remove each bagel, let the excess water drip off, then place each on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or release foil. bake bagels for 28 to 30 minutes or until brown.