Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love this soup, so good to eat with a nice salad and rolls
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 large baking potatoes, halved, sliced (I like to leave the skins on)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups kale or 2 cups swiss chard, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium (you can add salt but you can't take it out)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and add the sausage. Crumble sausage with spoon and brown sausage until no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp olive to a soup pot and add the onions and garlic.
- Cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot with the onion mixture.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the potatoes, and boil until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the heavy cream, sausage and the kale.
- Heat through but do not boil.