1/2 Photos of Copycat of Prantl's Burnt Almond Torte
2 hrs 45 mins
This is a copycat recipe I found in the paper of the famous Burnt Almond Torte from Prantl's bakery in Shadyside, a neighborhood of Pittsburgh. This is the best Burnt Almond Torte you will ever taste! As close to the original as it gets.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 591.47 ml cake flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 236.59 ml buttermilk, at room temperature
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
Honey Almond Brittle
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 44.37 ml honey
- 22.18 ml water
- 56.69 g slivered almonds, toasted (about 1/2 cup)
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter
- 0.59 ml baking soda
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans.
- 3For the cake:
- 4Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together into a bowl and set aside.
- 5Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- 6Reduce the speed to medium-low. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating 30 seconds between additions.
- 7Add alternating increments of the flour mixture and buttermilk and vanilla, blending well after each addition; this should take about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 8Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- 9Bake for about 30 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- 10Cool in pans, on wire racks, for 10 minutes, unmold the cakes and let cool completely.
- 11Note: The cake recipe makes two 8-inch round cake layers. Only one is used for this recipe.
- 12To make the brittle:
- 13Combine the granulated sugar, honey and water in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- 14Boil, without stirring, until the mixture turns a deep amber color, about 10 minutes.
- 15Remove the pan from the heat and immediately stir in the toasted almonds, butter and baking soda.
- 16Mix with a wooden spoon just until the butter melts and the foaming subsides.
- 17Pour the mixture into a nonstick or lightly greased baking sheet and set aside to cool.
- 18Once the brittle has hardened, break it up and crush to fine crumbs in a food processor.
- 19Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- 20To make the custard cream:
- 21In a heavy saucepan over medium- low heat, heat milk to barely simmering.
- 22Meanwhile, combine egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to blend smoothly.
- 23Stir the heated milk into the egg mixture; return mixture to saucepan.
- 24Bring back to a boil, over medium-low heat, whisking constantly; boil 1 minute.
- 25Remove pan from heat; add butter and vanilla, stirring to melt the butter.
- 26Transfer custard to a bowl; place a piece of waxed paper directly on top to prevent a crust from forming and refrigerate until cold.
- 27Whip the cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form.
- 28Fold into the chilled custard and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 29To assemble cake:
- 30Cut the cake in half horizontally.
- 31Place one layer on a cake plate, spread cake with cold custard cream and sprinkle with brittle crumbs.
- 32Cover with the remaining layer of cake.
- 33Spread the remaining custard cream over cake, applying a thinner coat to the sides, then the top.
- 34Chill for at least 1 hour before garnishing.
- 35To garnish, press brittle crumbs onto the sides of the cake with the palm of your hand and sprinkle a layer of crumbs on the top. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 36Note: To toast nuts, arrange in a single layer on a baking pan. Bake in a 375-degree oven until golden brown, about 7 to 10 minutes. Allow nuts to cool before using.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Copycat of Prantl's Burnt Almond Torte
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 736.5
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 234.6 mg
- Sodium 406.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 61.5 g
- Protein 11.6 g