1 hr 15 mins
Popeye's is my favorite chicken but it's such a far drive to get it. so I made this copycat which is pretty close to the real thing
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (1 ounce) package Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 (1 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 ounces spaghetti sauce mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups corn flakes, crush slightly
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 lbs chicken, cut up
- 1Combine first 9 ingredients in large bowl. Put the cornflakes into another bowl.
- 2Put eggs and water in a 3rd bowl. Put enough corn oil into a heavy roomy skillet to fill it 1″ deep.
- 3Get it HOT! Grease a 9x12x2 baking pan. Set it aside.
- 4Preheat oven to 350~. Dip chicken pieces 1 piece at a time as follows:.
- 51-Into dry coating mix.
- 62-Into egg and water mix.
- 73-Into cornflakes.
- 84-Briskly but briefly back into dry mix.
- 95-Drop into hot oil, skin-side-down and brown 3 to 4 minutes on medium high.
- 10Turn and brownother side of each piece.
- 11Don’t crowd pieces during frying. Place in prepared pan in single layer, skin-side-up. Seal in foil, on 3 sides only, leaving 1 side loose for steam to escape. Bake at 350~ for 35-40 minutes removing foil then to test tenderness of chicken. Allow to bake uncovered 5 minutes longer to crisp the coating. Serves 4. Leftovers refrigerate well up to 4 days. Do not freeze these leftovers. Leftover coating mix (1st 9 ingredients) can be stored at room temp in covered container up to 2 months.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Copycat of Popeye's Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.9
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 156.5 mg
- Sodium 4298.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 33.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian salad dressing mix
spaghetti sauce mix