Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
The secret is to let the chicken sit in the marinade overnight. Slice the meat as thin as you can for the right effect.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons light butter, spread
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- In a bowl combine all ingredients for the marinade.
- Add the chicken breasts and let sit overnight (or at least several hours).
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Remove chicken from marinade and onto a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- When cool enough to handle, slice as thin as you can with a knife or meat slicer.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Put butter flavored spread onto inside of buns.
- Grill buns until lightly browned.
- To make sandwich, place 1/4 of chicken onto bottom of buns, spread mayonnaise onto tops.
- Spread lettuce on top of chicken then tomato slices and place top on the sandwich.
- Enjoy warm.
The chicken was so juicy and delicious. I added more onion powder by mistake, but it was a good mistake. Just excellent
These sandwiches were very tasty and a nice change from most of the mayo-based chicken salads one usually finds. The chicken is very tender and not at all dry. I made these for a hiking lunch with added caramelized onions under the chicken for an extra flavor zap. They really hit the spot and were a hit with both me and my hiking partner. I'll make this one again. Thanks!
I've made this in my crockpot twice in the last week using 2 bone-in chicken breasts, pouring the marinade over top and cooking it on low for 8 hours. Delicious! The first time I finely chopped the meat and mixed it with avocado, mayo, green onion, etc. to make chicken salad sandwiches. The second time I served the chicken breasts for dinner along with a veggie casserole. It's great because even though I cooked the chicken in the crockpot it came out tasting like rotisserie or roasted chicken with a very nice taste and very tender.