Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love Mcallister's tortilla soup and had to find the recipe. Found this posted on another website, looks good.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 3 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 16 ounces tortilla chips
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄8 cup green onion, chopped
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the garlic and onion in the butter or margarine for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more.
- Add the broth and half-and-half. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Add the soup, salsa, corn, chicken, cumin, fajita seasoning and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Stir and continue to heat for 15 minutes.
- Crumble tortilla chips into individual bowls, add 1/2 ounce shredded cheese to each bowl and ladle in soup. Top each bowl with more crumbled chips, remaining 1/2 ounce cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro, few chopped green onions and serve.
This recipe is good but not even close to McAllister's. It is too milky with all that Half And Half. I also had to add a lot more spice to make it taste pretty good.
made this last night. so yummy and so easy!
This has been one of my new favorites! It is close to McAllister's but better. I prefer the creamier version. Sorry McAllister's but you've lost a customer. It was even approved by my picky 20 month old daughter. Great recipe!