My friend found this for me(when I was having a McDonalds burger obsession) in one of her cookbooks and it's delicious.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons boiling water
- 1⁄8 lb ground beef (I have used extremely lean ground beef for this, like 5% fat kind)
- 1 plain hamburger bun (I use Hot Dog/Hamburger Buns/Rolls/Cinnamon Buns Dough Cycle A.b.m.)
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard (American yellow)
- 1 dill pickle, slice (sour kind, not sweet)
- 1 slice American cheese (I have used those plastic cover cheese singles with good success if other American Cheese is unavail)
- Mix the dried onion with the boiling water and let sit until re hydrated and no longer dry & crunchy.
- Roll ground beef into a ball and press flat on waxed paper until about 1/8 inch thick.
- Brown faces of bun in a dry frying pan over medium heat. Remove bun and cook burger in the same pan for 2 min per side, salting each side lightly during cooking.
- On the top bun-half spread the ketchup, mustard, and onion, in the order, and top with the pickle slice.
- put the beef patty on the bottom bun and quickly slap the top and bottom together. Microwave the burger on high for 10-15 seconds. FOR CHEESEBURGERS: follow the above recipe, but add a slice of American cheese on top of the beef patty in the final assembly. Microwave for 15 seconds on high to help steam the bun and simulate being wrapped in paper.
These were really good!! I'm thinking they are about as close as you can get to the real thing. When discussing what it was "missing" to make it taste like the real thing, and my husband suggested "it must be crack...yeah, thats what its missing...the crack they must put in the burgers to make them so addicting." Haha. Seriously...these are good!!
These got top marks from all 4 of my kids.....3 of them eat them plain. One with mustard only. DH and I ate them as written...and they are pretty darn close to McD's! Quick and easy...and we used organically raised lower fat beef and they still turned out great! Served with Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries...almost like a trip through the drive thru..only better!
a very good recipe done these last night everyone liked them, keeping the onions in water for an hour is brilliant. any one got any tips how to keep the burger nice and thin like the mcdonalds ones cause mine seem to go in the pan thin n come out like a pub burger lol....any tips?