Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the closest I have managed to copying the Tomato Basil soup at La Madeline. This is the best soup for cold winter nights, and I have yet to meet anyone who did not like it.
- 4 cups whole canned tomatoes (or 8-10 fresh peeled, and chopped)
- 4 cups tomato juice, & broth mix of (50/50, I used vegetable broth to make the recipe vegetarian)
- 8 basil leaves, chopped finely or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 cup cream
- 8 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine tomatoes, tomato juice and broth in a saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree with basil in the blender. Make sure that this is smooth - I always strain it.
- Return to saucepan. Add cream and butter while stirring over low heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
Great flavors. It has been a long time since I have eaten at La Madeline but if memory serves correct this is pretty close if not it. I did reduce the recipe by half. Used 2 cans of diced cut tomatoes. One of which was pureed in the Vita-Mix and some Penzey's Chicken Soup Base added for extra flavor. Not having the heavy cream I added in some evaporated milk. I can see me making this again.
Excellent and easy to put together. To make it less rich, I used lowfat milk and half the butter.
This tasted great, very authentic. Added some sour cream as a topper, excellent.