Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the closest I have managed to copying the Tomato Basil soup at La Madeline. This is the best soup for cold winter nights, and I have yet to meet anyone who did not like it.
- 4 cups whole canned tomatoes (or 8-10 fresh peeled, and chopped)
- 4 cups tomato juice, & broth mix of (50/50, I used vegetable broth to make the recipe vegetarian)
- 8 basil leaves, chopped finely or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 cup cream
- 8 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine tomatoes, tomato juice and broth in a saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree with basil in the blender. Make sure that this is smooth - I always strain it.
- Return to saucepan. Add cream and butter while stirring over low heat.
- Serve and enjoy!
Great flavors. It has been a long time since I have eaten at La Madeline but if memory serves correct this is pretty close if not it. I did reduce the recipe by half. Used 2 cans of diced cut tomatoes. One of which was pureed in the Vita-Mix and some Penzey's Chicken Soup Base added for extra flavor. Not having the heavy cream I added in some evaporated milk. I can see me making this again.
Excellent and easy to put together. To make it less rich, I used lowfat milk and half the butter.
Great tomato soup recipe. Thicken with some sour dough bread crumbs to get La Madeleine texture and that little tang from the sour dough. Also a small bit of lemon juice!