This is the closest I have managed to copying the Tomato Basil soup at La Madeline. This is the best soup for cold winter nights, and I have yet to meet anyone who did not like it.
- 4 cups whole canned tomatoes (or 8-10 fresh peeled, and chopped)
- 4 cups tomato juice, & broth mix of (50/50, I used vegetable broth to make the recipe vegetarian)
- 8 basil leaves, chopped finely or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 cup cream
- 8 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine tomatoes, tomato juice and broth in a saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree with basil in the blender. Make sure that this is smooth - I always strain it.
- Return to saucepan. Add cream and butter while stirring over low heat.
- Serve and enjoy!