Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Recipe and photo from Now Your Cook'in
Make and share this Copycat Krispy Kreme Doughnuts recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour (a little under 2 cups, I recommend you measure and weigh. See my note above)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sugar (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce butter, cold to room temperature
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons hot water (or as needed)
- In a large measuring jug, combine the milk and boiling water. Add a teaspoon of the sugar and the yeast. Stir it gently, then leave it in a warm place for the yeast to activate (aka foam).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, the rest of the sugar, and the salt. Cut in the butter using your fingers or a pastry blender, until it resembles crumbs.
- Add the egg (give it a quick beat) and yeast mixture to the flour mix, and mix into a smooth dough. This usually takes about 5 minutes of mixing.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured counter and knead for about 5 to 10 minutes—it should feel springy and little bubbles should form under the surface. Place it back in the bowl, cover with a cloth or plastic wrap, and let rise for about an hour until double in size.
- Once risen, place the dough onto the counter and cut it into 4 pieces. One piece at a time, stretch it into a long rope about an inch to an inch and a half wide. Cut strips about an inch long, ball em up with your hands, and place them on a baking tray or wire rack to wait.
- Cover the doughnuts holes with a cloth to rise while you heat the oil to 375°F.
- Place the doughnuts into the oil and fry until golden brown on each side, about 2 minutes. Be sure to fry only a few at a time so they don’t overcrowd and stick together.
- Drain on a paper towel or wire rack over a cloth, before glazing them. Be sure to glaze them warm, or else they won’t get that delicious coverage!