Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Taken from Budget101.com
- 6 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, shredded fine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons instant minced onion
- Combine cabbage, carrots, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Pour milk over and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients.
- Once cabbage mixture is chilled, combine with mayo mixture.
- Chill in fridge until ready to serve.
KFC's coleslaw contains only Cabbage Carrots Onion Vinegar and Sugar. Lots of sugar! Mix vinegar and sugar to the consistency of apple sauce. The white dressing is the acid of the vinegar and sugar pulling color out of the cabbage.
I've never been to KFC, so I can't compare this to the real thing, but it was pretty good. It was creamy and tasty, but lacked a bit of the "kick" I'm used to having in coleslaw. I used a bag of prepared coleslaw to save on time.
Made as directed. This is a close recipe to the colonel's, but not identical. We may leave out the minced onion next time. Still a great slaw recipe. Thanks for posting.