This is my favorite recipe for pecan sandies and tastes just like the store bought ones. The recipe is from copykat.com, but I wanted to save it here, and in my special cookbook!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure flour, cream of tarter, and baking soda together and set aside.
- Cream vegetable shortening and sugars together until fluffy.
- Add vanilla, salt, and egg to sugar mixture and beat until smooth.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture 1/3 at a time, beating after each addition until completely mixed.
- Dough will seem a little thick.
- Stir pecans into dough with a strong spoon.
- Chill dough for 30- 45 minutes.
- Roll dough into 1- 1 1/4 inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten balls to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Bake for 12- 15 minutes, until slightly golden.
- Remove to cooling rack.
- When completely cool, store in air-tight container.