This recipe is from the famous NY eatery, Junior's, most famous for their delicious cheesecakes. Recipe adapted from "Welcome to Junior's." The muffins will look especially pretty because of the berries that get dropped on top right before baking. Recipe makes 6-8 jumbo-sized muffins or 12-18 regular-sized muffins.
- First of all, divide up your berries into three different batches- set aside a 2/3 cup portion for mashing, then divide the remaining berries into two equal portions- one portion for folding into the batter, and the remainder for dropping on top.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease 6 jumbo muffins tins or 12 regular size muffin tins well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, on high speed with an electric mixer, cream the butter about 2 minutes- until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer still running, gradually add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well.
- Continue to beat until creamy and batter looks light yellow.
- Mix in vanilla and mashed berries until well combined.
- Lower speed of mixer to medium, beat in some of the flour mixture, then some of the milk, and then more flour etc- in three portions each.
- Beat batter until airy and well combined, about 1 more minute.
- Gently fold in one of the portions of whole berries.
- Fill muffing tins almost all the way full.
- Drop the remaining portion of whole berries individually atop the muffin batter.
- Bake about 1o minutes, then REDUCE oven temp to 375 F and continue baking until golden brown and set in the center, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.