Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Home Run Inn is a Chicago legend. It is my favorite thin crust pizza. After moving from Chicago to southern Illinois, I found the choice of good pizza places to be lacking. I finally discovered a grocery store that sold frozen Home Run Inn pizza. My recipe comes from one that I found on a pizza website, compared it to the ingredients on the frozen pizza box, and tweaked it to my liking. Now this reminds me of sweet home Chicago! It's definitely worth the time to make. Enjoy. (Recipe doubles well.)
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon salt in warm water. Add yeast and stir. Let bloom for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup flour and mix well.
- Add 3/4 flour and corn oil. Mix, combine well.
- Add remaining 3/4 cup flour and knead 5 minutes.
- Place in bowl, cover with moist towel to prevent dough from drying out, and let rise in warm oven for 2 hours.
- Punch down, replace moist towel, and let rise for another 2 hours. Remove from oven.
- Place dough on pizza stone or sheet and roll out thinly to approximately 14-15 inches across. Pinch up sides to make crust.
- Puree tomatoes in blender. Spread desired amount of sauce over dough then sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano. Add any pizza toppings of your choice.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in 475 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing.
Home Run Inn uses a combination of mozzarella and provolone (70%/30% seems about right0. The "buttery" taste is from the corn oil--there is no butter in the crust.
The one ingredient everyone is missing along with mozzarella topping is provolone cheese. I was puzzled for a long time something was missing. Until a friend said provolone cheese with the mozzarella. I tried it and bulls eye, just drizzle some on top with the mozzarella.
This recipe is pretty darn close to Home Run Inn. I was born and raised in Chicago and recently moved to Seattle. My husband and I miss Home Run Inn pizza. We cannot even get it frozen. Therefore, this is such a nice treat! Thank you MssMcMom :)