Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this off the net
- 1⁄2 cup hershey's cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon Clear Jel, for thicken (cook type)
- Combine cocoa, sugar, and salt in a saucepan.
- Add water, and mix until smooth.
- Bring this mixture to a boil.
- Boil for one minute, be careful this does not over boil.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Add the vanilla.
- My Note: djcummings review tell it like it is, and dijcmmings * TIP" is right if it is grainy, just boil it for a bit longer. THANK YOU! dicummings.
Great recipe!! With the addition of one teaspoon clear jel (cook type) to the dry ingredients, it thickens it just right. AND it tastes just like Hershey's chocolate syrup!! Not grainy at all. My family loves it!!
I normally don't review things, but today I needed to make more syrup, and lost this recipe, so I came to get it, and saw this review. I am disappointed in the review of one person. If yours was grainy, this is a sugar product, please give it another shot, just boil it for a bit longer, the sugar needs to melt! <br/><br/>Now for my review, I have been making this for the better part of 2 years now, this EXCAT recipe! It is AWESOME! My kids have no idea I even make it! I simply saved an old Hershey;s bottle and refill it when I make new! I wish I could find a way to seal it so it keeps, but I just dare not for fear of wasting the coco, I do not like to waste! But as I said, if grainy please give it another chance and boil it longer. The sugar NEEDS to melt. To know when it is done, simply taste a swipe off the spoon to see if its smooth and rub some between finger and thumb, no grains, its done! <br/><br/>hope this helps!
Is cornstarch an acceptable substitute for Clear Jel?