I had to come up with this quick. Every Thanksgiving my mom serves Green Giant Niblets corn in butter sauce and I promised I would pick it up for her and bring it on Thanksgiving day. When I went to the store, they were sold out! I made this recipe and brought it already prepared to Thanksgiving dinner. Nobody was the wiser! I saved some money too, because I used store brand corn! This recipe makes a lot...you may want to half it.
- Add corn to large sauce pan along with all ingredients except water and cornstarch.
- Stir corn mixture over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Combine water and cornstarch and stir until cornstarch is disolved.
- Slowly add water to corn in sauce pan, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to simmer and stir until sauce thickens.
- Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until corn is tender, about 10 minutes.
We thought this recipe was great Karen. I tried it on a smaller scale a couple of weeks ago and thought it tasted just like the frozen boxed variety at a fraction of the price. We're having a houseful for Thanksgiving (Canadian!) this weekend and I plan on making this part of the menu.
Great and soooooo much cheaper than buying the actual Green Giant. My youngest daughter is the "connoisseur of corn" and she rates this 10 stars! Between the six of us last night we managed to polish off the whole pan and thats a lot of corn. Got to admit that being in the midst of "corn country" here in Illinois, and only 20 miles from a Del Monte plant where they make this type of corn, did I feel like a traitor? Heck No...this recipe is GREAT!!!
This was great! Simple, quick,& tasty way to serve corn that I will return to time and again. I was looking for a simple recipe to prepare with my elementary school-aged daughter, who is learning how to cook. She made this entirely on her own while I observed, and it turned out perfect and exactly like the purchased variety. We halved the recipe and it came out perfect. Thanks!