Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
In response to a request. Cooking time INCLUDES 2 hour 'stand at room temp' time.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- Cream first three ingredients until fluffy, add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix all dry ingredients into butter mixture.
- Stir in oats.
- dough stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Flatten cookies slightly and bake for 10 minutes.
- Do not overbake.
- Take cookies from the oven when still puffy and edges are just beginning to brown.
- Let cookies cool a minute or two on cookie sheets.
- before removing.
- Cool completely on racks.
- They are fragile and difficult to remove from the cookie sheets when they are still warm, so WORK GENTLY.
Very good,not crazy about cloves , so I just put 1 tsp. in
A really good cookie. Very similar to Dad's brand. I didn't have allspice, so I used nutmeg. I used fresh ground nutmeg and cloves, so I added only 1 tsp. Smelled great cooking. I got over 4 dozen cookies...lost count because I kept eating them. Thanks for posting.