Recipe by sheepdoc
Found on the internet and tweaked. If using as dough, roll out and use right after first rising.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast (1 pkg)
- 6 tablespoons water (lukewarm)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened, for crescents)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in warm water.
- Stir in sugar, salt, egg, shortening, and 1 cup flour.
- Stir in remaining flour.
- Place in glass or plastic bowl and cover with dampened (not dripping) towel.
- Let rise in warm place until double, about 1.5 hours
- Roll out 1/4 inch thick.
- If you are using as a substitute for the stuff in a can, stop here.
- To make crescents, roll in a 12" circle, spread with butter, and cut in 16 wedges.
- Roll up from wide end and place on greased cookie sheet point side down.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Brush with more butter if desired.