Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I think this chain is mostly out west but I went to the one in Portland, ME with my sister and am now a huge fan. This is very similar to the rice that they use in the burritos and salads. Yummy!
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, fresh
- 1 (2 ounce) can green chilies
- 2 teaspoons salt (may omit if using salty broth)
- 1 onion, medium
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, white long grain
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Chop veggies/herbs coarsely and then fry in 1 T butter or oil.
- Add rice and stir to coat and then add broth, salt and lime juice. Bring to rapid boil, turn down as low as possible, cover and simmer about 20 minutes - do not stir! Fluff with fork.
This was extremely delicious! I saved the cilantro to add after the rice was done cooking, but did everything else according to directions. Next time, I would use water instead of chicken broth, or maybe low sodium broth; I really like salt, but this was just a bit on the salty side. I enjoyed it, but someone on a low sodium diet might not. Thanks for a great recipe!
Loved all the flavors to this rice. I waited until the rice was done then added all the extras. Wonderful with Carne guisada and beans.
So delicious, the best Mexican green rice! Flavored with green chiles and cilantro. I added the cilantro just before serving, not to cook away the flavor.