Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 2 -4 tablespoons warm water
- 12 ounces miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to mix the two sugars and shortening. When creamy add the vanilla extract, salt and egg white.
- Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time, adding a tablespoon of warm water as necessary to mix the flour - don't exceed 4 tablespoons of water - this will make a firm dough.
- Mix in chocolate chips. As the dough gets thicker you may want to mix by hand. Roll into 2-inch balls and press down with the palm of the hand to flatten. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.