Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a good copy cat version of this delicious favorite. It is modified from a version I found on Recipegoldmine.com
- 4 butterflied chicken breasts
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1⁄2 cup Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup clarified butter
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 white pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Open chicken breasts and lay open side down on a hot grill.
- Grill 3-5 minutes on each side until cooked.
- Remove from grill.
- Stuff one of the butterflied sides with 1 slice prosciutto and 1/8 cup cheese and fold to sandwich the filling inside.
- Hold folded breast with wooden picks.
- Set on a warmed platter and cover.
- In a large skillet saute the onions and garlic in the clarified butter until tender.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine.
- Add the butter, salt, and pepper, and mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add basil and lemon juice and swirl pan to combine.
- Pour mushroom sauce over the Chicken breasts.
I made this tonight and was pleasantly surprised how good it was! We grilled the chicken on a charcoal grill which really added so much flavor! I will say that though the dish tasted great, it certainly did NOT look like it does at the restaurant! I could not get the chicken to bend around the prosciutto and cheese hardly at all! It really was kinda goofy looking with the toothpicks sticking out of the chicken, but it sure did taste good! The sauce tasted kind of lemony to me when I tasted it for seasoning, but was very surprised that when I tasted it with the chicken, I could hardly taste the lemon at all! Also, I couldn't find the clarified butter, so I just used regular salted butter instead and it worked great! Not sure if its worth driving across town to a specialty grocery store to find it! Overall, very yummy and a relatively simple recipe! It is nice to have a soux chef to assist you in the kitchen on this recipe! ;o)
Almost correct...However, I changed a few things. split chicken fill with Fontina (do not use box store cheese) and prosciutto, grilling seasoning & grill (best w/ wood chips), sauteed as described, but get your pan warm on med-high heat, then add olive oil add 2t shallots and garlic sautee (about 1min, it will begin to smell delightful). u want to some brown in the pan. Deglaze. then continue to follow recipe.
Delicious dinner in not a lot of time! Was out of dry white wine, and substituted dry marsala .... this was so good!