Recipe by K's
A very simple and easy way to make Burger King Onion Rings at home. It does take a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. Vegetable shortening is best, but you may use vegetable oil if desired. Cooking times and servings are a guess. From TopSecretRecipes.com
- 2 medium white onions
- 1 -2 cup milk
- 1 -2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 -2 cup Progresso Plain Bread Crumbs
- vegetable shortening or oil, to deep fry
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat up your shortening or oil to 350 degrees.
- Cut onions into 1/4 inch thick slices, then separate the slices into rings. (I leave 2 rings together for a thicker onion ring).
- Pour the milk, flour and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. (To make it easy, I mix the flour and milk together, and it seems to stick better as well. If the flour/milk mixture is too thick, add a little more milk to make it the right consistency for dipping).
- Now bread all of the onion rings: First dip an onion into the milk, then into the flour. Dip it back into the milk, then into the breadcrumbs; and once more into the milk and into the breadcrumbs. (Or, if you mix the flour and milk like I do, dip in flour/milk mixture, then breadcrumbs, and repeat once or twice more). This gives each onion ring a nice thick breading.
- Fry a handful of the rings at a time for 1 1/2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove rings from the oil to a rack or paper towels to drain. Lightly salt them and serve them up right away.