Recipe by Gillian Spence
This recipe attempts to recreate the Cajun crawfish recipe served at Vietnamese restaurants in Little Saigon like The Boiling Crab, Claws, or The Crawfish House. It's what's known as Asian fusion, and the recipes are kept top secret. Buy 1-2 pounds of crawfish per person.
Top Review by Sulistiani M.
Made it last night & it tasted like Boiling Crab's Sha-bang sauce. It is so good! I put in 2 Dungeness crabs, 2 corn and 1 lb of Trader's Joe Argentinian Shrimp (tastes sweeter than regular shrimp, almost like lobster). My boyfriend loves it so much. For the Cajun seasoning, I use Slap Ya Mama and I add a little bit of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Pepper Hot Sauce. For the seasoning, you just have to play with it, adding everything a little bit at a time and to your desired taste.
- 2 cups margarine
- 1 bag louisiana crawfish, Crab, and Shrimp boil
- cayenne pepper
- mccormick bayou cajun seasoning
- lemon pepper
- Old Bay Seasoning
- louisiana hot sauce
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 8 lbs crawfish, live
- 1 lb red potatoes, halved
- 8 ears white corn
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch segments
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour live crawfish into a washtub or ice chest; cover with water. Drain. Repeat 3 to 4 times until crawfish are clean. Drain. Discard any dead crawfish and debris.
- Cook crawfish by boiling in hot water with the Louisiana Crawfish Boil, quartered lemon, potatoes, corn and sausage (add potatoes, corn, and sausage 15 minutes prior to crawfish). While they are cooking make the sauce:.
- Melt the margarine over low heat in a large saucepan. Add garlic and saute until translucent.
- NOTE: This will get salty fast with the Cajun seasoning and Old Bay, so add them in tiny, tiny amounts. Add Cajun Seasoning, Old Bay, cayenne pepper (start with 3 t. then add more for spiciness), lemon pepper, paprika, and liberally add Louisiana Hot Sauce. When you have the mixture right, add a tiny bit of lemon juice (roughly 1/4 lemon).
- Simmer for 10 minutes and check for flavor. Add more cayenne, paprika, or hot sauce as desired.
- Drain the boiling water (or ladle out the crawfish, sausage, and vegetables) and mix the sauce in with them. Serve with hot crusty french bread.