1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from an old issue of Woman's Day magazine. While I haven't tried this recipe yet, I have eaten the soup at Bennigan's and it is delicious, but very rich. This version attempts to recreate the same flavors, but with some lightened ingredients. The real version surely tastes like it contains cream in it - this replaces cream with milk and there is far less butter. Ok, so this still might not be a diet dish, but is healthier than the full fat version. I might even try using evaporated milk in this. This makes 8 small servings or 4-6 larger ones.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs starchy baking potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk or 3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- shredded colby cheese, garnish (optional)
- crumbled bacon, garnish (optional)
- chopped scallion, garnish (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Poke potatoes with a fork several times and bake 1 hour or until tender when pierced.
- 3Let cool slightly, and when you can touch them without burning your fingers, peel potatoes.
- 4Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium-low heat.
- 5Add onions and garlic, cover and let sweat 10 minutes, or until soft- but not brown.
- 6Add 2/3 of the potatoes and mash using a potato masher right in the pot.
- 7Add chicken broth, milk, and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- 8Raise the heat slightly to bring mixture to a low simmer (bubbles forming under the surface, but not a boil), stirring occasionally.
- 9Chop remaining potatoes into small cubes, add to soup, and stir gently; keep heating until soup warmed through.
- 10Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with any or all of the optional toppings.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Copycat Bennigan's Potato Soup-Lightened Version
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.6
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 8.3 mg
- Sodium 521.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 7.8 g