Recipe by HeatherFeather
Adapted from an old issue of Woman's Day magazine. While I haven't tried this recipe yet, I have eaten the soup at Bennigan's and it is delicious, but very rich. This version attempts to recreate the same flavors, but with some lightened ingredients. The real version surely tastes like it contains cream in it - this replaces cream with milk and there is far less butter. Ok, so this still might not be a diet dish, but is healthier than the full fat version. I might even try using evaporated milk in this. This makes 8 small servings or 4-6 larger ones.
Top Review by Jill Slasinski
i cheated and used bob evan's mashed potatoes and real ones for the chunks. i also but a little bit of bacon pieces and cheese while simmering to add to the flavor. and i did use lite pet milk. i would like to try the real stuff next time just to compare, but everyone seems to like it - it is very thick and filling....jill s.
- 1360.77 g starchy baking potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml margarine
- 354.88 ml onions, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh garlic, minced
- 411.06 g can chicken broth
- 709.77 ml 1% low-fat milk or 709.77 ml whole milk
- 4.92 ml salt, to taste
- 1.23 ml black pepper, to taste
- shredded colby cheese, garnish (optional)
- crumbled bacon, garnish (optional)
- chopped scallion, garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Poke potatoes with a fork several times and bake 1 hour or until tender when pierced.
- Let cool slightly, and when you can touch them without burning your fingers, peel potatoes.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and garlic, cover and let sweat 10 minutes, or until soft- but not brown.
- Add 2/3 of the potatoes and mash using a potato masher right in the pot.
- Add chicken broth, milk, and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Raise the heat slightly to bring mixture to a low simmer (bubbles forming under the surface, but not a boil), stirring occasionally.
- Chop remaining potatoes into small cubes, add to soup, and stir gently; keep heating until soup warmed through.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with any or all of the optional toppings.