Chef #1563712's Note:
This is a copy that I made up myself of the Old version of the Panera Chicken Salad Sandwich. Not the new one with grapes and almonds. It's delicious! I just made it and its actually better because there aren't a lot of chemicals and preservatives like the Panera kind. I took cue from the main ingredients in the sandwich. Here are Panera's ingredients : Chicken (water, food starch modified, salt, chicken fat, chicken flavor (beef extract, wheat starch, silicone dioxide, thiamine hydrochloride, alpha tocopherol)) dextrose, corn starch, flavors, sodium phosphate) mayonnaise (water, soybean oil, vinegar, food starch modified, egg yolk, whole eggs, corn syrup, spices, salt, propylene glycol alginate, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate & potassium sorbate-preservatives, calcium disodium EDTA), celery, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, parlsey.) Here are mine:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- tomato, slices
- red onion, slices
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- 1 pinch white pepper (Black pepper is ok too)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I like Kraft Real Mayonnaise)
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- sliced white bread (or Semolina bread from Panera)
- 1Take the Chicken Breasts and place them on a cutting board. Cover with plastic wrap and pound with a mallet (or a frying pan if you don't have one) to a 1/2 inch thickness. They will cook more evenly and it will be easier to chop them into even chunks. HEAVILY season both sides of the chicken with garlic and onion powder. (You are going to boil the chicken so don't worry about it being too salty.) Put the chicken in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring it to a boil and then cover and let simmer till cooked, about 10 minutes. If it finishes cooking earlier then take it out then so it doesn't become rubbery. Take the chicken out and let cool.
- 2Chop the celery and the cooled chicken and set in a bowl. In another small bowl put mayo, sugar, pepper, lemon juice together and whisk until well combined. You want the sugar to disintegrate so that you're not tasting the grain.
- 3Mix the mayo with the chicken and celery. Take a slice of bread and place a large slice of lettuce, then tomato, then red onion. Top with the chicken salad and another slice. Serve with potato chips and pickle. (Or you're favorite soup!).
- 4I hope you like this recipe. I really thought it out and was RELIEVED that my hard work paid off and it tasted so close to the real thing!
- 5Good luck!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Copy Panera Chicken Salad Sandwich (Original)
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.6
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 51.6 mg
- Sodium 499.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 12.7 g