Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I use this recipe frequently and have friends that ask for it and receive kudos every time I make it.
- Melt butter or margarine and mix in milk, broth, salt, pepper, and onion in large measuring cup or bowl.
- In large skillet heat hash browns and fold in shredded cheese until melted.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare 9x13 baking dish or pan.
- Put hash brown cheese mixture into prepared pan and pour other ingredients in and fold until hash browns swell in most of the liquid. Spoon the hash browns flat and place in oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- Alternate: I have also skipped the skillet in step 2 and put semi frozen hash browns with all other ingredients in the baking dish directly into the oven with great results cutting time down by 10 to 15 minutes.
This is absolutely wonderful! It's been too long since I've had Cracker Barrel's potatoes to say how close of a copy this recipe is, but I really don't care. It's better than any other hash brown casserole that I've tried; the beef broth makes a difference. I did used diced instead of shredded hashbrowns.
This is so good! I don't care if the recipe is different than the real one, this tastes amazingly close and I enjoy it (made exactly as stated) each time we have it for breakfast! PS DH says he could eat a whole casserole all by himself! :)
This is by FAR the best recipe on RecipeZaar for the Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole. I have tried other recipes that call for the canned soups and we think they taste NOTHING like the real thing. My husband is a Cracker Barrel freak so we eat there often and this recipe is DEFINATELY the closest! Wonderful flavor, easy to make and leaves everyone satisfied and happy!! THANKS for the great recipe!!