Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe was shared at a recent cookie swap fund-raising event. They are incredible! Light, buttery - every dieter's nightmare. Great iced or plain. Prep time does not include chill time. Yield depends on size of cookie cutters used.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten well
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Sift together flour, nutmeg, baking powder and salt.
- Beat shortening and sugar till light and fluffy, add eggs and milk, beating well.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Shape dough into three balls and wrap in wax paper.
- Chill overnight if possible.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly grease baking sheets.
- On surface dusted with powdered sugar, roll each ball to 1/8" thickness.
- Use cookie cutters dipped in powdered sugar to cut dough.
- Bake 4-5 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Cool slightly, remove from sheet.
- Cool completely and decorate as desired.