Recipe by Muffin Goddess
I haven't tried this yet, but it's another yummy-looking recipe adapted from a new Italian cookbook I just bought ("One Pot Italian" by Massimo Capra). Cook time is chilling time, and cook/prep times are estimates. Posted for ZWT
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons coffee liqueur (such as Kahlua or Tia Maria)
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder (can use instant espresso powder if you prefer)
- 1 cup chocolate syrup (Hershey's Special Dark sauce would probably be nice here)
- dark chocolate, grated (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a medium mixing bowl in a large shallow pan of hot water. Place the egg yolks in the bowl, then whip in the sugar and liqueur with a hand mixer until the mixture is pale and lemony colored, and very thick. At this point, if you lift the beaters out of the mixture, the batter should create a ribbon that sits on the surface for a few seconds before it sinks inches This means your yolks are properly cooked. Remove the bowl from the water pan and set aside to cool.
- Add the mascarpone and instant coffee powder to the egg mixture. Using an electric mixer, whip the mixture just until stiff peaks form. Take care not to overwhip, or the mixture will separate.
- Layer the chocolate sauce and the cheese mixture in a serving glass, starting with the chocolate and ending with the cheese mixture (there should be at least 5 alternating layers. Garnish each serving with grated dark chocolate.
- Chill for at least 1 hour prior to serving to allow flavors to meld.