Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Copeland's is a restaurant in Louisiana.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked according to pkg directions
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked Spanish paprika
- chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare macaroni.
- In large saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter.
- Whisk in the flour; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- Preheat broiler.
- Grease shallow 2 1/2 to 3 quart baking dish.
- Remove sauce from heat; whisk in 2 cups of cheese, salt, mustard, pepper, and hot sauce until smooth.
- Stir into macaroni until noodles are evenly coated.
- Pour into prepared baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese, dot with remaining butter, then sprinkle with paprika.
- Broil 2 inches from heat for 5 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.
This is delicious . We love eating at Copelands and they put there recipe's on the Internet
We found this macaroni VERY cheesy. I substituted spiral rotini for the pasta. Be sure to use your favorite hot sauce, b/c the taste will make a difference.
This is the BEST macaroni and cheese. I made four different macaroni and cheese recipes and froze them. When I ate this, I knew it was superior, but the label was gone so I had to search through about 20 recipes to find the mac and cheese that required 10 min of stovetop cooking of the sauce. This has an old fashioned cheesy taste. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. Thanks for posting it.