Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -5 fresh tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup green olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 2 -3 dashes bitters
- Puree enough fresh tomatoes in a blender to make 28 oz. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, bell pepper, and half of the garlic and sautee until the onions start to brown.
- Add ground beef and anise. Cook until beef is browned, stirring to break up.
- Add the pureed tomatoes to the pot and stir.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes, about 1/2 of the tomato paste, and the remaining garlic, reduce heat, stir and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the bitters and remaining tomato paste. Simmer covered for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining tomato paste and simmer for 20 minutes more.
- Just before serving, add 2 or 3 shakes of bitters, stir, cover, and remove from heat. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Serve over al dente pasta.