Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
My absolute favorite cake of all time! Always a must to make for St. Patrick's Day only because of the color and it tastes great after the corned beef and cabbage.
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup green creme de menthe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 jar your favorite chocolate fudge topping (I like Hersheys or Mrs Richardsons)
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- 3 tablespoons green creme de menthe
- Mix together cake mix, water, oil, eggs and 1/2 cup creme de menthe.
- Bake in 9x13 cake pan according to cake mix package directions.
- Let partially cool.
- While still warm carefully spread fudge topping over warm cake, sometimes it helps to slightly warm the topping too.
- Cool completely.
- Lightly mix 3 TBS creme de menthe into cool whip.
- Frost cake.
I love this cake and have made this often. My recipe has a few variations: I add 4 drops of green food color and 5 drops peppermint extract to cake batter also before cooking. To the cool whip I also add 3 drops food color.
I made this for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. The only thing I would do different would be to omit the creme de menthe from the cool whip and use mint extract instead. I found the cool whip layer to have too much of an alcohol flavor, not very kid friendly. Otherwise a keeper :))))
You really should follow the boxed cake recipe and add creme de menthe as part of the liquid. And the Cook Whip was a disaster. The taste was wonderful, but I think that the "frosting" should have some substance; maybe added pudding or confectioners sugar because the "frosting" falls off the cake before I can present it after chilling and freezing.