Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have no idea where I found this recipe...I have this one and 3 others that I wrote down at the same time but did not record from where. The birds in VA seem to like this assortment. It does only work in the winter months though as too much sun will melt this suet cake.
- 2 cups lard (waste fat or rendered suet)
- 1 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup hulled sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Combine lard and peanut butter in a large saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until melted.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- If needed, add enough water to make the product the consistency of oatmeal.
- Pour into a bread pan and cool.
- When cool, run a knife around the edges and pop suet out of pan.
- Slice into portions that will fit your hanging suet feeder.
- Store remaining slices in the freezer until ready to use.