Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
An Eating for Life recipe. Taco seasoned ground beef, lettuce and tomatoes with a creamy salsa dip.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning mix, divided
- 2 whole wheat pita bread
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain off excess fat. Add water and 1 tsp taco seasoning to the beef and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut each pita into 8 wedges and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While the beef is cooling, combine the remaining taco seasoning, cream cheese, sour cream and salsa in a small bowl. Mix well. Divide and spread this mixture evenly on 2 small plates.
- Spoon a portion of the beef over the sour cream mixture, and top each with half the lettuce, tomato and cheddar cheese.
- Place 8 baked pita wedges on each plate. Serve and enjoy!
This was delicious...I made this and another taco salad for DH and I for our lunches today (cut them down) and this was a great hit. I used taco seasoning recipe from this site, and recipe#273276#273276 for the salsa (I drained part of the liquid from the salsa) and this was very good. Definately a keeper. Thank you for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2014. P.S. I topped with some avocado and a sprinkle of green onions.
This couldn't have been easier to make or more delicious to eat! I used lean ground turkey, nonfat cream cheese & lite sour cream. I put together the finished product a little differently: I toasted the flat pitas, spread the "dip" onto the bread itself & topped it with the turkey & cheese. I left out the lettuce & tomato-I served a salad on the side. Can't wait to have this for weekend lunches; it was so simple yet tasty. Thanks so much for sharing!