I got this recipe from my Creative Cookery Class that I took my junior year of high school --- it is amazing! They are the perfect cinnamon rolls to enjoy at any time of year.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 1 3/4 tablespoons yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 cups powdered sugar
FOR CARAMEL TOPPING
- 1Combine 2 cups flour, yeast, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix. Add 1/2 cup margarine. Add 1 1/2 cups warm water (105-115 degrees Fahrenheit).
- 2Stir well with a paddle attachment. Beat at a medium speed for two minutes.
- 3Add eggs and 1 cup flour.
- 4Beat at a high speed for one minute or until thick and elastic.
- 5Switch to dough hook and beat in gradually only enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 6Turn onto floured board.
- 7Knead for two to three minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- 8Shape into a rectangle and roll cut dough to 1/4 inch.
- 9Melt 1/4 cup margarine and brush on the rolled-out dough and also sprinkle on a 9- by 13-inch bakin pan.
- 10Mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Sprinkle on the dough over the melted margarine.
- 11Roll dough starting with the long side; pinch dough closed.
- 12Cut cinnamon rolls with thread approximately 1-inch thick.
- 13Place cut side down in bakin pan and lightly cover with plastic wrap. (For the caramel variety, put topping in the bottom of the pan before adding dough.).
- 14Refrigerate overnight (up to 48 hours).
- 15On baking day, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove rolls from the refrigerator and let stand for five minutes at room temperature.
- 16Bake for 30 minutes or until rolls test done.
- 17Remove from pand immediately. Cool slightly. Frost while still warm.
- 18FOR FROSTING: Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in flavoring. Add enough powdered sugar to make a smooth frosting. Refrigerate overnight. Spread on cinamon rolls hot out of the oven. (You may need to slightly warm the frosting in the microwave.)
- 19FOR CARAMEL TOPPING: Combine ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook three minutes, stirring constantly. Pour into greased 9- by 13-inch pan. Cool. You may sprinkle 1/4 cup walnuts in the pan before adding dough pieces.
- 20Refrigerate dough overnight as instructed in Cool-Rise Sweet Dough Recipe. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Flip rolls onto a cookie sheet so that the caramel is on top.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cool-Rise Sweet Dough
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 588.6
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 51.9 mg
- Sodium 526.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 48.9 g
- Protein 7.7 g