Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. From June 2012 Nutrition Action Health Letter. Pick a firm but ripe avocado -- a Hass avocado should have black skin and yield just slightly to gentle pressure.
- 177.44 ml quinoa or 177.44 ml bulgur or 177.44 ml whole wheat couscous
- 78.07 ml red onion, diced
- 14.79 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 large navel orange, peeled and sliced (see direction #3)
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, diced
- 59.14 ml roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- Prepare the quinoa according to the package directions, then allow to cool.
- Combine onion and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside until the onion turns pink, about 5 minutes.
- Cut the peel, pith, and outer membrane off the orange (any leftover white will add bitterness). Slice the orange, and cut the slices into bite-size pieces.
- Toss all the ingredients except the salt in the large bowl with the onion, then season with up to 1/2 teaspoon salt.