Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I put this recipe together from a lot of different sources after trying in vain to find one I really liked. It has a rather delicate flavor, but you can add a little stronger vinegar if you like. I did research to determine if there was a similar one but couldn't find one. My apologies if it is the same as another.
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml pickled ginger
- 2.46 ml sesame oil
- 14.79 ml rice wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1.23 ml chili paste (or hot sauce of your preference)
- 4.92 ml sugar (white or brown)
- 2.46 ml minced garlic
- 0.25 ml salt and pepper
- 2 English cucumbers (or seedless or regular)
- 1 red onion
- 1 avocado
- 29.58 ml sesame seeds or 29.58 ml finely chopped peanuts
- For dressing, mix first 8 ingredients in a container and shake well.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours to blend the flavors.
- Slice onion very thin and place in ice water for half hour.
- Dry onion with paper towels before using.
- Peel cucumbers and slice thin.
- Place in a bowl, pour on dressing and mix well.
- Peel and slice avocado.
- Arrange cucumbers (don't pour out the dressing), onion, and avocado individually on a plate (they can be mixed but I like the way they look individually).
- Drizzle the remaining dressing on the onion and avocado.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds or peanuts.
DELICIOUS-what a great salad at my Beijing dinner tonight! I mixed the dressing the night before (using hot garlic chili sauce instead of minced garlic and chili paste). Because I wanted to feed a crowd, I added baby spinach and cherry tomatoes. Fast, easy, and lots of flavor-and, everyone loved it! Thank you so much for a great recipe!!!
This is a wonderful salad. I made it with the dressing drizzled over and made it allowing the cucumbers and onion to marinate for a couple of hours, both methods made for a terrific salad. The pickled ginger gives the salad extra zing, love that pickled ginger! This is one that will see regular makings at our house and definitely one I'll be serving guests. Thank you for another of your great tasting recipes.
Wonderful salad! I mixed the dressing and it didn't appear to be enough so I doubled the recipe. After proceeding with the recipe though your portions were spot on and enough to do the job. I loved the flavor of this and it is definitely on my repeat list! Thank you CoolMonday!