Recipe by *Pixie*
Easy and cool lemon cake with lime stripes. Very moist with a creamy, light frosting. This recipe used to be on the back of one of the packages years ago, I forget which one. Another variation of this recipe is to use devil's food (or dark chocolate) cake, cherry jello and chocolate pudding. I didn't include the time for chilling, since this probably varies depending on where you are.
- 1 lemon cake mix (size package to make a regular layer cake)
- egg, as required by the mix
- oil, as required by the mix
- 1 package lime Jell-O gelatin (size package to serve 4)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 package lemon pudding mix (the kind that you mix with milk and doesn't need cooking, should be a size package to serve 4)
- 1 package Dream Whip (do not premix, should be the type that makes 2 cups) or 1 packet similar whipped dessert topping mix (do not premix, should be the type that makes 2 cups)
- 2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake the lemon cake mix as per instructions in a 13" x 9" pan.
- While cooling, mix the lime jello with the boiling water to dissolve completely, then add the cool water.
- Cool jello but do not allow mixture to get too thickened before doing the next step.
- It has to be able to pour easily.
- Make holes in the cake 1" apart over the whole surface (yes all the way to the bottom of the pan!).
- I use the handle of a wooden spoon, round and maybe 1/4" in diameter.
- Pour the lime jello into the holes with a teaspoon.
- Use all the jello, even if you have to do the holes more than once.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- Beat the dry lemon pudding mix, dry whipped topping mix and milk with an electric mixer (on high after the ingredients are blended) until light and fluffy.
- Frost the cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.