Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy and cool lemon cake with lime stripes. Very moist with a creamy, light frosting. This recipe used to be on the back of one of the packages years ago, I forget which one. Another variation of this recipe is to use devil's food (or dark chocolate) cake, cherry jello and chocolate pudding. I didn't include the time for chilling, since this probably varies depending on where you are.
- 1 lemon cake mix (size package to make a regular layer cake)
- egg, as required by the mix
- oil, as required by the mix
- 1 package lime Jell-O gelatin (size package to serve 4)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 package lemon pudding mix (the kind that you mix with milk and doesn't need cooking, should be a size package to serve 4)
- 1 package Dream Whip (do not premix, should be the type that makes 2 cups) or 1 packet similar whipped dessert topping mix (do not premix, should be the type that makes 2 cups)
- 2 cups milk
- Bake the lemon cake mix as per instructions in a 13" x 9" pan.
- While cooling, mix the lime jello with the boiling water to dissolve completely, then add the cool water.
- Cool jello but do not allow mixture to get too thickened before doing the next step.
- It has to be able to pour easily.
- Make holes in the cake 1" apart over the whole surface (yes all the way to the bottom of the pan!).
- I use the handle of a wooden spoon, round and maybe 1/4" in diameter.
- Pour the lime jello into the holes with a teaspoon.
- Use all the jello, even if you have to do the holes more than once.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- Beat the dry lemon pudding mix, dry whipped topping mix and milk with an electric mixer (on high after the ingredients are blended) until light and fluffy.
- Frost the cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Very light tasting and easy to make. My family enjoyed this and I will make it again. Thank you for sharing with us.
I was so glad to find this recipe, Pixie! I had it years ago but have misplaced it and of course they never print it on the cake mix box anymore. This is so cool and refreshing to have for dessert, especially in the summer! I have tried it using many different cake/Jello/pudding combinations and it's always a hit! Thank you again. =)
Delicious recipe! My family loved it and so easy to make! Great for St. Patrick's day dessert!