Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Grilling meat is easy. This recipe takes the "work" out of nutritional vegetable side dishes that accompany many picnics. This recipe can be prepared one to two hours ahead of time, placed in cooler and carried off to the park or backyard for later grilling. There's something about grilled vegetables that make them oh so good!
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 red jalapeno chile
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 cups spinach
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or freshly chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper (or to taste) or 1⁄2 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning (or to taste)
- Marinade bite size pieces of boneless skinless chicken breasts in two tablespoons of oyster sauce for thirty minutes to 24 hours in advance.
- Wash, peel and slice potatoes in half lengthwise then slice again the same. Cut into slightly larger than bite-size pieces.
- Wash vegetables then cut them at a 45 degree angle into thin slices.
- Cut mushrooms in half then slice into medium-thick pieces.
- Toss the above ingredients in large bowl with olive oil.
- Add chopped broccoli, chopped spinach and minced garlic and toss again.
- Tear four to six square foot pieces of aluminum foil, lay them on a flat surface and spray with non-fat cooking spray.
- Equally divide combined vegetables and place in center of each foil square.
- Sprinkle with basil, salt and pepper.
- Bring opposite corners of foil together and scrunch tightly forming into the shape of a closed purse or small handbag leaving one half inch airspace for steam.
- Place on grill or in 350 preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from grill/oven and open carefully as very hot steam escapes immediately from the foil "purse" upon opening.
- Eat directly from the foil purse or empty onto plate with prepared main dish (meat). Garnish with fresh tomatoes and or parsley.