Recipe by An Dracon
This is my version of the pickled vegetables they serve at Vietnamese restaurants. I have eliminated the sugar by using Splenda. This is a very refreshing and bright tasting side dish. It goes very well with rice based dishes or grilled meats. FYI - You can buy already prepared matchstick carrots in the grocery store.
- 1 English cucumber
- 1⁄2 medium sweet white onion
- 1⁄3 cup carrot (cut into matchsticks or sliced into 1/4" thick half-rounds)
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 packets Splenda sugar substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the cucumber leaving small strips of green remaining.
- Cut in half.
- Slice halves into 1/2" thick slices.
- Cut the onion into 1/4" thick rings.
- Quarter the rings and separate the pieces.
- Take the carrot matchsticks or half-rounds, onion, and cucumber and place them in a glass bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the rice vinegar and Splenda.
- Pour over the vegetables, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- The pickled vegetables need to be used within 24 hours.